Joint political party statement encouraging residents 60 years and older to register for their Covid-19 vaccine
Media release: Joint political party statement encouraging residents 60 years and older to register for their Covid-19 vaccine
16 May 2021
Hon Masizole Mnqasela (Speaker)
Hon Premier Alan Winde (DA)
Hon Cameron Dugmore (ANC)
Hon Melikhaya Xego (EFF)
Hon Brett Herron (Good)
Hon Ferlon Christians (ACDP)
Hon Peter Marais (FF+)
Hon Galil Brinkhuis (Al Jama-Ah)
Ahead of the start of phase 2 of South Africa’s mass vaccination programme on Monday 17 May, we, the leaders of all political parties represented in the Western Cape Provincial Parliament, jointly encourage residents 60 years and older to register for their Covid-19 vaccine.
We have noted that the Covid-19 vaccines that will be used during this phase have all been approved by the South African Health Products Regulatory Authority for use and have been rigorously tested for safety both locally and internationally.
These trials have shown decisively that Covid-19 vaccines offer excellent protection against serious Covid-19 illness and death, and are an extremely important defence in the battle against this virus.
We acknowledge that some residents still have concerns about the vaccine and its safety. We collectively encourage all people who are still unsure to seek out the facts on the vaccine from reliable sources.
As political party representatives, we also commit ourselves and our structures to:
- Disseminating the latest vaccine registration information to our councillors, community leaders, constituents and members;
- Encouraging people who are eligible to register;
- Where possible, assisting residents 60 years and older to register for their vaccine, with an emphasis on those who might not have connectivity;
- Supporting people to make an informed decision about vaccines, by sharing the facts with them;
- Standing against queue jumping by those who are not yet eligible. We all believe in the system of vaccinating the most vulnerable residents first, starting with our healthcare workers and oldest residents first.
Covid-19 has led to loss for so many people in our province, and vaccines offer a real hope that we can finally bring this to an end. Let’s now all stand together to register for the vaccine and save lives.
If you are 60 years or older, you can register to be vaccinated through any one of these ways: