CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION AND NOMINATION FORMS
The Western Cape Provincial Parliament’s Standing Committee on Community Safety, Cultural Affairs and Sport, in compliance with section 7 of the Western Cape Provincial Languages Act, 1998 (Act 13 of 1998), invites the general public to nominate suitable persons as members of the Western Cape Language Committee (WCLC). Appointed nominees will serve a three-year term of office.
The mandate of the Western Cape Language Committee is prescribed in the provisions of the Pan South African Language Board Act, 1995 (Act 59 of 1995), the Constitution of the Western Cape, 1998 (Act 1 of 1998), and the Western Cape Provincial Languages Act, 1998 (Act 13 of 1998). The aim of the WCLC is to monitor the use of the three official languages of the Western Cape; to monitor the implementation of the Western Cape Language Policy; and to advise the Minister tasked with language matters and the Pan South African Language Board on language matters in or affecting the province.
The members of the Western Cape Language Committee represent the users of the three official languages of the Western Cape, namely Afrikaans, English and Xhosa, as well as of South African sign language and previously marginalised indigenous languages of the Western Cape. Members of the Committee will be the
accounting authority of the entity and will be responsible for all governance-related matters in terms of sections 49 to 57 of the Public Finance Management Act, 1999 (Act 1 of 1999).
• be South African citizens of at least 21 years of age and permanent residents of the Western Cape;
• have full command of at least two of the three official languages of the Western Cape;
• have knowledge of and experience in language matters and must actively and proactively contribute to the promotion of the use of the three official languages spoken in the province, as well as of previously marginalised indigenous languages and South African sign language; and
• have sound knowledge of financial management and compliance requirements in terms of the PFMA.
His contact details are:
- e-mail: email@example.com
- tel: 021 487 1741