District Six land claimants invited to share their experiences
As part of its oversight function the Standing Committee on Human Settlements is engaging with the public to find out what their experiences have been with the District Six land claims process.
To this purpose, the committee has set up a survey to gauge public opinion. “We tried to make this process as easy as possible and to reach as many claimants,” says Honourable Matlhodi Maseko, Chairperson of the Standing Committee on Human Settlements. “Claimants that want to share their experiences with the standing committee can do it in a number of ways: There is an easy-to-complete electronic survey on the website of the Western Cape Provincial Parliament, or alternatively inputs can be provided by WhatsApp message or voice note, or via email.”
The online questionnaire can be accessed here:
If a claimant does not have access to a computer, or would like to make use of an alternative way of communicating with the standing committee, they can also provide inputs to:
Email: , or
WhatsApp message or voice note: 082 372 7463
If claimants make use of email or WhatsApp, the standing committee would like the following information:
- Your name, surname, age and contact details.
- Were you a beneficiary of a District Six land restitution claim?
- Have you registered for land restitution claim in District Six?
- How long have you been on the waiting list?
- Please elaborate on the challenges you experienced with your land restitution claim in District Six.
- If you have registered for a land claim, do you have a reference number for the claim? If you have, please provide the reference number.
- Have you received any communication from the Department of Agriculture, Land Reform and Rural Development regarding your District Six land claim?
- How long has it been since you have received communication from the Department of Agriculture, Land Reform and Rural Development?
- Has the Department of Agriculture, Land Reform and Rural Development informed you when your District Six land restitution claim will be finalised?
- Would you like to make an in-person submission to the standing committee?
When using email or WhatsApp, the committee requests that participants should please include their full name and submissions must be addressed to Ms Shumeeze Jones, Procedural Officer. Claimants who are interested in making in-person submissions to the standing committee must indicate such when submitting comments. Submissions must reach the Procedural Officer by no later than 27 October 2021 at 15:00.
For more information, contact the Procedural Officer, Ms Shumeeze Jones at .